Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Original Dreamgirls...



Starring Jennifer Holliday, Sheryl Lee Ralph, and Loretta Devine...

The footage from the upcoming "Dreamgirls" movie sounds interesting, but I have to admit that I am "not" a big fan of remakes. I would love to see some original movies for a change. However, since I am a huge fan of YouTube, I dug up some footage from the "Dreamgirls" Broadway play from the 1980's. And all I have to say is that absolutely no one can sing like Jennifer Holliday, and no one should even try to either. Back then people used to actually open up their mouths up to sing. Some things are best left alone. Also, I've been informed by some folks that I'm not a big fan of any entertainer, although I said it a few entries back. Yeah, they were right. I guess I just said it to not be taken as a hater. Oh well. I wasn't able to recall any lyrics, haven't been to the concerts, and am unsure of the acting skills, but I do respect some folks for staying hard at work at their careers. So Bouncy fans please don't break out of lurking mode to unleash a lynch mob in here, because for the record I'll say that most of today's entertainers don't measure up to the talent of previous entertainers. There are people in this generation who possess great talent, but they aren't being extended the opportunities these days. Yeah, I said it. What?

Ahem. With that said, let's enjoy Jennifer Holliday's version of "And I'm Telling You." If you look closely you'll notice that Sheryl Lee Ralph (from "Moesha," Brandy's TV Show where Sheryl played the mother) and Loretta Devine (from the "Waiting To Exahale" movie) in the scene as members of the girl group. Enjoy... ==>

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"...



**Note: The quality of the footage is a bit grainy. The scene begins where the cast announces to Effie that she's out of the group. Then Effie sings her famous song. And one more thing, ladies never ever beg for a man the way that Effie did. Please no. Self-esteem, ladies, self-esteem as Myra J. from the Tom Joyner Show would say.
==================================================


"I Am Changing"...



Another Fine Performance...

And here's another performance I just couldn't resist showing. I know that I said that I couldn't stand remakes, but this really isn't. This footage shows Lillias White singing "I Am Changing" which was originally performed by Jennifer Holliday.

==========

P.S. Saga, do I really have to complete that Meme? Can I be exempted from this one just this time? *hee hee*

5 comments:

Luke Cage said...

Aziza, I'm not a fan of remakes myself. In fact I hate them since they very rarely do justice to the original. Plus the liberties they take to change things around can be insulting sometimes disgracing the original piece of work. I agree with what you said in your opening paragraph about entertainers who don't measure up to the talent of previous entertainers. Good God, some of these current acts are downright awful, but they are raking in the dinero. Nice video inclusion by the way!

Xquizzyt1 said...

Wow. Just wow. I WISH I would have seen the original. That was just... wow. The fact that the new one is not only a MOVIE, but has Beyonce of all damn people in it, is sure to make me disappointed in it altogether.

What was funny was my kitten's reaction to Jennifer Holiday. She LOVED her!!! As soon as she started singing, my kitten sat UP and stood in front of the screen. As the song got more and more climactic, she sat atop the monitor and reached her paw down to touch Jennifer's face. It was CRAZY to watch. LMAO My cat knows good music. LOL

That was great. I REALLY wish they would do it on Broadway again with some REAL actors/singers. Beyonce is soooo not going to cut the mustard. UGGGH. But then again my girl from American Idol is in the cast too... she might just save the day - I LOVED her!!!! =)

greggy said...

hmm...in response to what you posted: "And all I have to say is that absolutely no one can sing like Jennifer Holliday, and no one should even try to either. Back then people used to actually open up their mouths up to sing....."

alls I can say is AMEN to the AMEN!most entertainers today believe that the only way to entertain is to be raunchy and obscene.

Aziza said...

I wonder what Jennifer Holliday is doing these days.

Wendy said...

Thank You. I want to say that because I am the only person I know who knows every word of this soundtrack but never got to see the play. You have made my day! I agree with every word you stated. Someday, perhaps we will go back to real singing again. I pray.