Thursday, May 18, 2006

Danielle Is America's Next Top Model...



Danielle exclaimed, "Mommy, I'm America's Next Top Model...

Into:
Early on yesterday, I had prepared myself for Danielle, my favorite contestant, not winning. Time and time again, the judges got on Danielle about her country twang (accent). Coming from VA and NC, I have a little bit of a twang too. But out of the young ladies, Danielle seemed to always have a pleasant way about herself. Even in an earlier episode when she came crashing to the floor when trying to walk the catwalk in some ridicuously high heels, she went down smiling. A pure and pleasant nature can't be faked at times like this. Others would have cursed like a sailor, but she simply smiled instead. And the judges noticed.

This Year's Show Seemed Better...
I really don't watch the mainstream reality shows on the three major networks, but I did end up watching the whole season of America's Next Top Model this year. A few years ago, I remember seeing former model Janice Dickerson as a judge make a fool out of herself, which really took the attention away from the prospective top models. When Janice clowned the first week it was funny, but the next week it got down right annoying. But this year, the judges and the models seemed to be more on point. In years past, some of those chics (the contestants and the winners) didn't look like models at all. This year's competition was tighter.

Jade (Ever The Diva)...
This year the show poured on the suspense when three ladies were left standing. Jade, Joanie, and Danielle. The three had to compete in a C.overgirl commercial. Based on that alone, I thought Jade or Joanie would win, because Danielle just couldn't seem to get her country accent out of her system. But surprise, surprise, Jade is the one who choked. She walked into the competition full of confidence saying basically that the commercial would be a breeze. I don't think so. Miss Jade did her own thing as usual and didn't really memorize her lines and spent most of the time taking cues from herself rather than from the director. That left Joanie and Danielle who made better impressions. So in the first half hour, the judges politely sent Jade on her way. Throughout the whole competition, she marched to her own beat. When judges offered their advice, I'm not sure she was aware that she was nodding no or making facial expressions that said that she was not willing to take direction from them. And before packing her things and leaving, she made a statement about people misinterpeting her confidence for arrogance. Oh well. We don't have to feel sorry for Jade, because she'll probably become a model anyway. Those of us who watched the show know that she has talent. Now she has to work on her attitude. With Jade gone, at least we didn't have to endure watching any cattiness or smart remarks, because Joanie and Danielle aren't that way.

The Winner Is Revealed...
As for Danielle, I was totally shocked when Tyra named her America's Next Top Model. I just knew that the judges would pick Joanie, because the way Twiggy kept going on and on about her looking sophisticated like Grace Kelly. But I have to admit that I got a little teary eyed when Danielle said, Mommy, I'm America's Next Top Model; we don't have to struggle anymore!" I love seeing the underdog win. This former babysitter struggled with that gap in her teeth and her deep country accent, but carried herself like a real model while traveling the globe. And there's nothing left to say but, Congratulations!!!...

4 comments:

DramaFree said...

I'm really geeked that Danielle won also. Jade worked my nerves, and I somehow knew that her inability to follow directions FROM THE JUDGES would cost her in the end.

SP said...

The other day Jade and Joanie were on the radio together. Jade was still being Jade. I'm so glad Danielle won too!

ShellyP said...

I was always rooting for Danielle. I would have been glad for Joanie if she won cause I thought she was great. It was a close call but I'm glad Danielle won.

Xquizzyt1 said...

I soooo agree. I jumped up and down like she was my cousin. ROFLMAO Girl I was SHOCKED too, but towards the end, I said, "Hmm... this could go either way, maybe Tyra's trying to have an element of surprise to the show... " and I was surprised, but girl, I would have BEEN pissed (not surprised) if they were willing to pay for Joanie's damn cosmetic dentistry... PORCELAIN VENEERS no less... and wouldn't pay for a locution coach for Danielle. She was a sweetie. From day one, she deserved it. =)