Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Cubicle Chronicles: Part 3



Thrown Under The Bus...

That's what's about to happen to me. Let me jog everyone's memory (and mine too). Earlier this year, I blogged about not getting a major promotion for about 10 years and being passed over for people who are related to others at the job. We've got folks' daughters, sons, parents, and spouses working here. That was Part 1. Their success comes at my expense. I need to place a gigantic banner stating exactly that over my cubicle. I would not have known for sure that I was passed over if wasn't for others (including a couple of managers) who told me what happened. With all this said, I requested to perform a detail assignment in another component of my agency. Everything has been going well there, but the component that I actually belong to is holding onto me. They don't want to promote me and they don't want to let me go. And I'll tell you why. I'm the thankless grunt who responds to the reports. When a request comes in from another agency about my agency's functions, I'm the one who writes the response. The work itself isn't too bad if I'm given enough time to do what I need to do. But after the incoming request has been sitting in my supervisor's inbox for a couple months, the day before it's due or sometimes afterwards my boss assigns it to me. Some of the requests may consist of as many as 100 pages or more. But I'm still expected to read them and make recommendations and/or comments by the close of business. And just think this assignment is on top of my regular work. Also, those who were promoted are calling me to help them do their work.

Making Ticket Reservations...

I just know I'm about to be thrown under the bus, because my detail assignment has not been extended as it has been a few times earlier this year. I'm permanent, yet my detail status is in limbo to the extent that my detail supervisor is hestitant to give me work. My supervisor (where my job position actually belongs) is back from her maternity leave and ready to get back in power play mode. I tried to extend an olive branch earlier this year by still attending her baby shower and purchasing gifts out of the goodness of my heart. But it appears that she's back at trying to control my career. I bet she's trying to get me back in there to write those recommendations and comments. As the old folks say, "I ain't studyin them." *Hmph*

Bus Station Announcement: Island Oasis Bus Is Now Boarding...

When I first received word that there was a glitch in my detail extension and my detail area couldn't keep me without my home component's blessing, I started to feel a little down. How is it that I worked hard and treated everyone well to end up at a point where no one is willing to go to bat for me? How is it that people can say that I am an intelligent, hard worker and I still not be promoted? After all these years, you mean to tell me that I have nothing to show. It's been explained to me that one supervisor doesn't want to overstep the authority of another supervisor. What am I going to do about my career?

The Bus Tears Off From The Station With Me Under It...

Well, at times like this, I try to inject a bit of humor into the situation as a coping mechanism. Yeah, I felt down last Friday, but I wasn't in the mood for that. I just don't think it's good to be down for too long of a period over something like that. Besides I had planned on purchasing my i.Pod nan.o that day. I've been to the mountaintop with musical nirvana. Seriously, what else can I do? I have a mortgage and other responsibilities. I know that I've been MIA to friends by not emailing or calling them, but I'm not one to invite alot of people to my pity parties. I don't feel like explaining my woes to them or bringing them down with my disappointments. All I wanted to do is come home (after dropping by the bakery to purchase a couple of cupcakes first) and hang out on my couch while I watch tv shows back to back. Nope, it's not a vacation on an exotic island. But the solitude sometimes does me some good to help me focus on my problems. Last week's epiphany revealed to me that it's time for me to move on to another job in another organization and to pursue grad school like I always planned (that's a whole another blog). There's no need for me to request any meetings with my supervisors or to run to the union. The answer is just as clear as day, and I need to come to grips with it. Besides, why should I fight to be at a place where folks don't appreciate me or a place where the work is boring? There's a great big world out here, and I need to experience it (the good part).

Now that I'm feeling better, I'll email and call my friends so that they can attack me for going missing for a while. Let me take my beating like a woman. *lol* But I really hope that they understand that I needed some time to think things over. My job really had me hanging on a string.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To quote my father "a job aint nothin but work." It seems to me that this being the case that one should at least be able to enjoy their particular job. If you are under-appreciated and bored with your current position . . .then you should probably move on. If you want new results you have to be willing to try new things. I hope whatever happens works for you!

ShellyP said...

I hear you. I'm in a similar situation where I've been working for my company my entire post-grad life (10 years) and I've only been promoted once. I would love to quit but my family depends on my income and benefits. I can't see myself starting over at another company though.

I hope things work out for you. I know it's not an easy decision to make.