Monday, October 01, 2007

Come-Back Monday...

I hope everyone had a beautiful weekend before returning to work today. As for me, I had a quiet one. I really didn't have a choice, since I had the nerve to sprain my foot on Friday and not put ice on it until today.

Well anyhoo...I'm taking my blog direction from Pamalicious today. The last time I blogged I mentioned the upcoming reality shows that will be playing on VH1 starting October 15th. Well, in the comments Pamalicious mentioned Dawn Robinson and her husband's (Dre Allen) new reality show. I had seen it a few weeks ago, but they had taken the video off the net at the time. Since then, they've reposted it. Here it goes.

The Dawn and Dre Show...



Most people who remember Dawn Robinson remember her from EnVogue and Lucy Pearl. But I don't know much at all about her husband. I had to go to her My.Space page find out information about him. The whole point of this reality show is to document her comeback and his come up. It's unclear whether this show will be picked up by a network or cable channel to be honest. I wonder whether they can generate enough interest in their project. I hope so.

I was thinking that EnVogue never really got to make it to the big leagues, although they did get to experience a level of celebrity. They got to record maybe three or four albums and made appearances on tv shows. I think the lack creative control and the lack of leverage in their business contracts are the two things that got in the way of the their success. EnVogue is sort of special to me because they represent a time in my life when we were so young and had the world before us like nothing could stop us. Now they (the original EnVogue and Dawn as a solo artist) are out in their 40's trying to stage a comeback, which I hope they all can do. I just wished that they had been better off. I hope that we aren't all burned out and jaded by life. Who knows? *sigh*

LeToya Luckett...




LeToya Luckett's reality show called the H-Town Chick briefly appeared on BET last year right around the time she released her album. There was a lot of buzz surrounding whether she could measure up to Beyonce and measure up period. And all during her interviews last year, people kept asking her the same questions about Destiny's Child. Once people put you in a box, that's where they want you to stay. They wanted her to remain as one of the jilted Destiny's Child members. I mean really. That whole flap with the group happened more than seven years ago. What I do like about her is that she's moved on and has the right frame of mind to do it. She could have been consumed with bitterness. But it's better that she's concerning herself with her recording career and her Lady L Boutique, which sells House of Dereon clothing. In case you forgot what happened, here's LeToya and LaTavia's take on the situation:

LeToya and LaTavia



Honestly, I only heard two songs from LeToya's last CD. They seemed to be normal or what we would call average. It wasn't bad or anything, but I really couldn't tell who was singing the first single when I listened to it for the first time. She's going to have to develop a signature style to distinguish herself from the rest of the pack of singers out now. But apparently, she performed well enough for her CD to go platinum. I don't usually take word of folks on the internet? So, I checked the Recording Industry Assoction of America's web site and sure enough it stated that she went platinum. I guess that explains why she is back in the studio recording her second solo album. We all know that she doesn't have the full production crew behind her like other people have, but I hope she will be able to carve out a niche for herself in the industry.

Okay, I'm running late for work. Let me get going. Have a great day. :-)



5 comments:

Luke Cage said...

Just stopping by to spread some love and salutations to ya Zee. Have a great Monday luv! And take care of that sprained foot okay?

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

EnVogue dropped off the radar as soon as they started "relating" to me. *scratching head* 'cuz yanno "lose control" was like the "Dayum, I need a lover!" song. What I liked about them is that they stayed classy. Anywho, I guess I'll be tuning into Dawn and Dre to see what they're about.

Take care of that ankle Miss, mmmmkay?

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

OOPS! I'm illiterate! I read foot and still typed ANKLE! Dee.Dee.DEEEEE!

princessdominique said...

Hope you feel better. I know how a sprain can be.

Aziza said...

An icepack makes a world of difference. And my foot is feeling much better.