Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Grinch-trina Who Stole Christmas...


Green Looks Beautiful On Me...

Why should I have to do things I don't want to do? Why do I have to make other folks' dreams come true at the expense of my own feelings? Why should I feel guilty and have to make up lies to say no?

Hee Hee. I am happy to report that yesterday I declined an invitation to a Christmas party at my job. When the invitation first came to me, I was happy that someone had considered me at all. Those good feelings stayed in place until I remembered attending a going away party for a co-worker earlier this year. Boy, was that thang there painful. We all sat silently around a table trying really hard to make small talk. "How about those Orioles?" "The weather is beautiful today?" "Oh, that's a pretty blouse." Now, I'm saying, "Whatever!"

I think it best that I not go to the party. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings either. We're really not friends at the office. They might think we are, but I know better. I like to maintain a cool working relationship with folks so that our signals won't get mixed. Let's keep things where they are. We come to work to do the work and get paid. Perhaps, I can take the money I would have paid towards the party to donate to a charity. That's a thought.

Okay, I'm running late for work AGAIN. *hee hee* Take care and have a great day... :-)

7 comments:

Shelia said...

When I was in the corporate world, I liked to keep my business life seperate from my personal life when I could. What I did on my personal time was sacred and if I didn't feel like socializing with the co-workers, then so be it...because that's why its called personal time.

When working, we have no choice on who we work with so we have to get along just because; but we do have a choice on who we hang out with after work.

Robert E. Morgan, Jr. said...

Its always better to stay away from such functions. People of color can always sense a bigot. It's in our genes and I don't mean your blue jeans. It's our little 6th sense.

KimPossible said...

I am no longer in corporate america and reading your post made me grateful. the games they play, the lies they tell, the promises they never keep. At one of my jobs one of my manager's came to me and said "You might want to go to some of the functions because you are looked down on and seen as being anti-social if you don't." She said, "the powers that be have good memories when its time to give raises."
I looked at her and said, as long as I am doing my job and doing it well. Whether or not I get a promotion should not be determined by whether I attend after work gatherings. Too funny. Needless to say, I wasn't there for long.

Keep in touch and drop by my blog spot.

KimPossible

princessdominique said...

I feel you on that. Fact is that work and personal should stay separate. I like it that way.

SP said...

Good for you! Don't do nothing you don't want to do!

Anonymous said...

Most of the office parties that I ever went to were stuffy as hell.

KimPossible said...

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

KimPossible