Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Reporting From Cubicle Office 8-4



Co-Worker Workplace Violations...Drats!!!


I fully understand that I must work for for a living. As adults, that's just our lot in life. Fine. But why should the working experience be made so miserable by a few annoying, busybody co-workers? Let me hurry up and type this post, before one of them runs up on me during my break time. The violations are as following:

Personal Space Violators:

I don't know whether this has anything to do with the new perfume I've been wearing or what. But at least 3 co-workers have been violating my personal space, which annoys me to the highest degree. When I can see up their nose, and smell their breath, I think that's just too close up. I just can't understand why they feel they need to get up on me like that. And no matter how much I step back from them, they step forward to me....Touchy Feely Folks (TFFs) also fall into this category. They just can't hold a conversation unless they are touching or rubbing up on you. Enough already with the police pat downs and frisks. STOP IT!!!!!!*Adding HR & EEO Numbers To the Speed Dialing List*

Office Busybodies:

Office Busybodies are those co-workers who listen to your telephone calls, peak over your shoulder to see what is on your computer screen, ask you what time you came to work, inquire whether you were away from the office on a particular day, keep track of your lunchtime (and what you ate), ask you how much money you make, try to find out what kind of car you drive, ask you where you live, ask how much you pay for your rent/mortgage, ask about your personal life (boyfriend), poke around your cubicle when you walk away, and so on and so forth. I kid you not. Everything that I've listed has happened in my office.

Overly Competitive Co-Workers:

I know that many of us are striving to provide excellent work, however, is it really necessary for some to step on the heads of others to elevate themselves? A few weeks ago, a co-worker of mine took a project from me without telling me, because I sided with our attorneys. He didn't give me the courtesy of asking me whether I would mind trading projects with him. I very well would have given it to him. I started to fire off an email to him telling him how I didn't appreciate his lowdown, insincere tactics . But I decided against the email, and let it slide. Nevertheless, what's done is done. I keep reminding myself that I can't and shouldn't fight every battle that finds its way to me. Besides, I need to concentrate on determining how I will fit my new graduate school classes into my schedule.

Non-Handwashers:

Didn't we learn how to wash our hands as little kids? Apparently, some folks missed that all so important lesson from the looks of things in my office. There have been times when I have witnessed some female co-workers walk straight from the ladies' room stall out of the restroom altogether without putting any water and soap on their hands. Ladies aren't the only ones. Some male friends have told me that other men pee and go as well. And guess what? These are the same folks who just love having pot luck parties at work. They are forever bringing food to work. One old chick had the nerve to bring in strawberries that she dipped in chocolate. Now you know good and well that I didn't partake any of that. Besides, I didn't feel like testing my gag reflex. Shux, who are these people? *Good Grief*

Romantic Date Hunters/Stalkers:

These are the absolute worst. My motto at work is ==> Don't Bother Me!!! I'm really not mean at all by default. I was raised in the South. So, I will engage in light conversation to be polite.

A few years ago, an old (50-something year old) Puerto Rican co-worker couldn't seem to leave me the heck alone. I have to admit that to be nice I speak to all of the people who have cubicles near mine. The conversation usually relates to news, the weather, and other non-specific type of crap. However, Mr. D took things differently. Since I really have a hard time coming into work early, I end up spending late evenings in the office. He did too. But I would be working and minding my own business. When everybody else on the early schedule would leave, he would come to my office and chat about everything under the sun. He insisted that we Blacks and Hispanics should stick together. Many times, I would have to sneak away from the office before he made his way to me. He demanded that we spoke everyday.

Then one day lo and behold he struck the wrong chord with MISS ZEE. He let me know that he regularly listened to my phone calls, and other co-workers told me that they noticed him watching me. And another time, he tried to fill me out by asking what he could do to become appealing to the women, and whether he was too old for me. I ignored him, and went about my way. Besides, I don't get down with the elderly. But he got more forceful and annoying. While I was in the cafeteria waiting for my food, he came up behind me in line and said that he missed our conversations in front of the cafeteria lady serving the food. You should have seen the look on her face. Mr. D made things sound like we had a little something going on. Not! I didn't dignify him and walked off. Things never got better. He still stares, but I ended up moving my office to another cubicle to get away from him. Why can't folks just take the hint, and blast off? Hit the road, Jack!

I think that I've covered the most common violators in my office, and sincerely hope that you don't have to endure this kind of mess at your job. Hmm. Maybe I need to find a new office.

9 comments:

MsBassClef said...

That's something. I've experienced all but the last(at least in the last 10 yrs). One thing I noticed with one coworker, while approaching my desk, they don't look at me, they stare at the computer monitor to see what i'm working on. One time I decided to log into my bank account to check things out and that person walked up. While in the process of switching tasks, why did they say, 'oh it's no problem, you don't have to close it on my account.' amazin

Cheryl said...

The NON HANDWASHERS!!

I personally walk up to them and scowl with the *I know what you did last summer face* It's disgusting.

SP said...

Ewww!! We have the non-handwashers too, but they don't work in my office. Our building has common bathrooms that we share with a few law offices. I always wonder how many people shake those lawyers' hands everyday.

We also have a lot of those busybodies. I think that's because I sit in a big room with 15 people and no walls. You can't help but hear everyone's buisness whether you want to or not.

princessdominique said...

People are amazing but I'm with you if you can see up their nose, they need to get beat with a stick!

ShellyP said...

So true! All of it!

DramaFree said...

I can totally relate to the personal space. My boss...she likes to hug and touch me when she talks to me. Which, I'm not into women or PDA, so that irks the hell out of me!!

And...she's nosey as hell. One time, my co-worker played a mean trick on me and told her that I was dating someone new. That woman started in with 50 questions...who is he? What does he do? Where does he live? Does he have kids? Why haven't you told ME about him?? Um...maybe it's because YOU'RE MY BOSS!! lol. It's freaking bananas!

Aziza said...

@Tiff: But Tiff luvs the kids. *hee hee*

Luke Cage said...

Siiighhh... I cannot tell a lie. I am ALL of these. Especially the romantic date hunters/stalkers (insert Vincent Price maniacal laff). All except the non-handwasher. I'm a notoriously cleanly kind of guy. I'd better clean up my act before miss Aziza speeddials HR on my azz... (smile)

courtney said...

lol SMH @ non-handwashers. They are SO nasty...I feel like i have to block the door till folks get the idea sometimes...smh...*insert specific race here*