Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Tech Tuesday: Your S.ony/B.MG Music CDs



Here's something that you might want to read about. Last week, a co-worker and friend of mine forwarded an article to me about S.ony/BMG's music CDs. Apparently, in an effort to prevent people from illegally mass producing and selling the work of S.ony/C.olumbia artists, the company didn't tell music buyers that their CDs placed possibly harmful software on their computers that would open them up to hackers. S.ony didn't actually apologize for not telling customers that they held their computer's in harms way, but provided instructions on how to remove the software from their computers. They only took action after computer security experts got on their case. If you are concerned about this issue, please read on for more specifics==> S.ony/B.MG CDs and Unmentioned Software

When I read this article, I thought about how many S.ony/C.olumbia CDs that I bought this year. Just a few, but enough to do damage to my computer. Two in particular led to me to think that this happened to me. I usually buy most of my music in the middle of my workday at lunch time. Music is what keeps me calm at work and does a great job of focusing me on the task at hand. Once I remember trying to play a CD, but I was prevented from doing so. I was thinking, "Hmm. Did I just purchase a defective CD or was the computer set up (firewalls) at my job the reason for the CD not playing?" I took it home later that day, but I first had to go through some steps, before it would let me play it. I went ahead with S.ony/B.MG's instructions, because they claimed that the CD had some bonus hidden tracks and videos. I wonder could this possibly be what the articles are talking about. I guess I'll have to think twice before buying certain CDs.

4 comments:

princessdominique said...

OH GOSH THAT'S HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! Sick, sad world.

Cheryl said...

Girl, this was just one more thing to piss me off today. S'not even right.

SP said...

That is crazy. Don't they understand that when a weakness is exposed, it only takes hackers a matter of minutes to exploit it? I'll definitely have to think twice before buying any of their CDs because they didn’t say they removed the software from the CDs. They just tell you how to uninstall it.

Luke Cage said...

I read this the other day also. They are so concerned about piracy then turn around and create a hidden trojan horse so to speak that jacks up folks' computers. And don't even tell the consumer. It's getting tuff out there luv.. Good for Sony. That'll teach them not to keep things like this hidden. It'll bite you in the tail every time..