Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Remembering Mrs. Coretta Scott King



A Lady Of Class And Dignity.....
1927-2006


As I was getting ready for work this morning, the news reported that Mrs. Coretta Scott King had passed away last night in her sleep at the age of 78. Mrs. King never really recovered from the stroke she sustained last fall. And throughout the news report, all I kept thinking was how elegant and dignified this lady had been during the worst moments of her life. Although I had not been born at the time when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, I can remember the picture of his widow sitting stoicly holding their young daughter at his funeral. I can remember her holding her head high. She put on a brave face to show the world that she may have been down, but not out.

Although people usually think of her husband when the civil rights movement is mentioned, people need to also know that Mrs. King was a civil rights activist in her own right. Mrs. King didn't sit quietly in a corner as a widow and the matriarch of her family. She stayed quite active in human rights and equality initiatives. She gave speeches, traveled, and met international dignitaries to continue her husband's work. She lived a wonderful life, and I am so glad that she graced with her presence. Now Mrs. King's work is done. Soror/Mrs. Coretta Scott King, Rest in Peace.

3 comments:

Aziza said...

@Myrah: I was thinking the same thing. And I went to the hospital's website, and it didn't seem to be too equipped. So, I'm not sure what happened there.

SP said...

I heard this on the radio when I was getting ready for work too. The sad part is when I mentioned it to a co-worker, she didn't know who Coretta Scott King was. I was also suprised to hear that she didn't have a single grandchild. I didn't know that none of her children ever married or had kids.

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I ran across some pics of her online, when she made a surprise appearance at a gathering. Despite being as ill as she was, she was ever so graceful.

Another note, www.quackwatch.org is really depressing me right now, about Miss Coretta..