Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Weighing In With Star Jones Reynolds



What's The Big Deal About Her W.eight Loss?

I'm just getting caught up on my blog. I really meant to post this last week after watching her appear on Larry King's show, but I got bogged down with work and completing my grad school application. But I'm back on the blog scene.

What's up with Star and her tremendous w.eight loss? Lately, she's been going on tv shows to promote her new book, "Shine." She admits that she use to weigh about 300 lbs, but now is a size 10. Star has been guarding the story behind her w.eight loss like it is some type of top secret stuff. She leaves nothing else as a secret (everything about her sweet man). So why this? I don't see what the big deal is. It's apparent that she took off a ton of weight. Or maybe all of this part of her promotional tactic to sell her new book. Who knows one way or the other? But I will accept the notion that it is the business of celebrities to do what they want with their bodies. (Note: My sister informed me that I was using the term "celebrity" quite loosely with regard to Star Jones....Hmmm....Patti Labelle sings...Denzel Washington acts...And Debbie Allen sings, acts, and dances. So, I was asked what Star does? And I suppose she's a daytime tv talk show host on "The View." *weak smile*)

She says that she won't give specifics, but a couple of weeks ago she appeared on the cover of "People Magazine" or another celebrity magazine with a big ole caption above her picture stating "How She Lost The Weight!!!" So is she going to talk about it or not. Nope. She says that she doesn't want to be the poster child for w.eight loss. And she says she doesn't want another person to try what she tried, because it may not work for that person or the person might experience something tragic. She said something to that effect. Sometimes what people "aren't" saying is what they "really" are saying if that makes any sense to you. Hmm... Eating healthy foods, controlling food portions, and exercising regularly sound like elements of a healthy w.eight loss program. But Star probably had that stomach stapling procedure performed, which is fine, because that might be the appropriate treatment for some folks. If so, all she had to do is add a disclaimer encouraging people to consult a physician before making any decisions. She missed an excellent opportunity to explain how w.eight loss helps to prevent diabetes, high blood pressure, pain in joints, etc. Oh well.

I like NBC's "The Today Show" weatherman Al Roker's approach better. He was upfront with everything. In fact, he let the cameras be present for most of his surgery. He never told people to get the surgery or not to get it. And he was honest in admitting that everything wasn't sunshine and lollipops (err... and granola) as a result of his surgery. He explained that he wished that he could have done it on his own through diet and exercise. And for that, I have a lot of respect for Al in the way that he went about things. Star could learn something from Al. It's the way people go about things. I believe some of the jabs directed to Star by J. Anthony Brown from the Tom Joyner Morning Show can be a bit over the top. But she just gives folks way too much material to work with which makes her an easy target.

About Star's new advice book==> Girl please?! What sage words of wisdom does she have for us? What can she tell us? How to find a husband? *sideways glance* I'm not going to touch that. *rolling eyes*

On to the next topic==>



Flav's Chic Show on VH1

Can someone tell me what this show is about? Last week while I was on the phone, I was channel surfing and I came across this show. I don't make it a habit to watch stuff like this, but I wanted to find out what the point of this show was all about. Is this show a joke or are the contestants for real? On other reality shows, people usually win something for making fools out of themselves. Folks usually win money, prizes, recording contracts, modeling contracts, exposure to talent scouts, etc. So what do the women on Flav's show get for hanging out with the heavily metalliced grilled one? A set of mini grills? A new kitchen clock necklace? *shrug*

**Side Note: I purposely misspelled w.eight loss to keep folks from placing advertisements in my comments section for free. This ain't no billboard. Shux...

7 comments:

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

Star know she needs to stop. smh I can't force myself to watch Taste O Taste even after killing half a bottle of wine by myself.

I have to ration out the goofy celebreality shows I watch. I'm trying to geared up for "Being Bobby Houston" again....that's if they're not thru with each other this go 'round

Cheryl said...

**RPM** still shivers over pic of Flav....

As for Star...I was just lamenting in this over my in blog...it annoyed me greatly as well. Welcome back. :)

SP said...

Welcome back! Just like Dee said, I been looking for you.

I have no comments on Star. She just needs to go on somewhere.

Girl, you didn't know about Flava? It's the ghetto version of the Batchlor! It's soooo bad, that I actually find myself watching it. I know, shame on me!

princessdominique said...

Yes, everybody is whispering how or why she's famous. Isn't she a lawyer by trade?

princessdominique said...

Meant to say I'm glad you're back.

greggy said...

I'll leave the comments concerning Star alone since she aint moving me in any way, shape, or form...but the section you posted about Flava's show...goodness gracious Lawd have mercy! Why Flava, why? Forgive him Father for he knows not what he does...LOL

NeenaLove said...

i despise FLAVA!! i can't believe that the hype man that brought us FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE is doing this how. uggghhhhh!!!!

as for star... i think she got a big head now that she lost all that weight. but if she likes it... i LOVE it. LOL...