Friday, June 17, 2005

All Hail The Queen Of Procrastination



Well, howdy yall. I'm back on the mic today. Today's got my wrapped mind wrapped around my bad habit ==> Procrastination. Yes, I'm the Queen of Procrastination. I'm not particularly proud of this. But this is the truth. I'm really suffering from it badly to the point that I'm late for work and appointments. My procrastination really stresses me out. I demand an explanation from myself as to why I choose to start projects at the last moment and have my back up against a wall sweating trying to finish things. It's a shame and I hate it. I really do. Usually, I end up acting like Florida Evans from "Good Times" in the scene where she drops the bunch bowl. "Darn...Darn...Darn!!!!!!" *sigh*

For example, this past Tuesday I volunteered to work for a local organization that encourages youth to pursue college and career goals. My friend and her husband created this organization a few years ago, and immediately I fell in love with the organization's concept to the point of me volunteering my time. When the organization's director called me last Tuesday, I had ideas bursting out of me. My mind was running at full blast. During my telephone converstation with the director, I proudly explained a few projects that I could oversee. And I promised to deliver a paper or plan to the organization by next Tuesday. After putting on a brave front over the phone, I quietly wondered to myself what I had gotten myself into. I know that I feel completely horrible when I give a person my word and don't deliver. And my goodness gracious, I hope this won't be the case next week. But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that I could email my paper to the organization at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday night.

Well, what? I did try to work on the paper, but.......The other night I felt like I had to get into the right frame of mind to become creative. In my mind, ice cream makes me creative. So, I served myself one scoop of chocolate chip dough ice cream. I had to eat it slowly, because I only allowed myself one scoop. I savored it. Okay, I should have started writing my paper. Umm. Not yet. I needed to get comfortable. Well, a few Yahoo games usually do the trick. So, I played Jewel Quest, Rocket Mania, and Shape Shifter for a little while to loosen up. Unfortunatley, by the time I got finished playing my games, it was 11 p.m. That's time to go to bed.....Fastforward the next day. I thought about getting up early the next morning to at least brainstorm for my paper. But I first had to read my email from 4 accounts and read the news on the internet. After that, I felt compelled to answer CNN's Question of the Day, since they occassionally air my comments on tv. That night I tried again only to be sidelined by a telephone call from some guy that lasted about 2 hours. Bless his heart; he had a lot to say.

Well, I know one thing for sure. If I don't finish that paper by next Tuesday, someone will need to put a switch to my legs. I really mean it. But until then, I'm going to try to tackle my procrastination problem. Wish me well. ;-)

====================
Song of the Day:

"Hangin' on a String (Contemplating)" by
Loose Ends

No comments: