Monday, March 03, 2008

The Cubicle Chronicles: Part 8


Monday Mornings...

I don't know you about you, but Monday mornings are always tough on me. It really starts somewhere and sometime Sunday afternoon. But let me tell you how much I love Fridays. I love knowing that I don't have to wake up at the break of dawn on Saturday morning, figure out what to wear, and anticipate putting up with a lot of foolishness for the next 8 1/2 hours. The weekend is pregnant with possibilities. I vow to clean my place from top to bottom, to wash all loads of clothing, and to make homemade meals. And the icing on the cake would be to work on applying for a better job.

But now we're back at Monday...I'm dragging my wagon...Again...

Yesterday, why did I run across a couple of blogs where the people have quit their jobs with no new jobs lined up? They simply said that they had enough of their jobs and walked away. They say that they are going to catch up on their sleep, listen to music, travel abroad, and pretty much do anything else they darn well feel like. Must be nice, huh? I sort of want to know who these people are and how they are able to just walk away. They actually claim that they liked their co-workers, but hated the job they've been at that job for 4 or 5 years.

I've been at my job for 16 years now. I started out there just after college. And I just want to say that it's really not that easy to walk away as some suggest. We don't want to jump from the pan to the skillet just to spite someone and show them a thing or two. Another job may not have the same benefits and pay. Many of us have responsibilities. I don't have kids yet, no. But there are bills to pay in this shaky economy. So, I've got to stay until I can find something better. In the meantime, I have to cope with the situation at hand. Please don't get me wrong. I appreciate my job. It just gets to be much when I'm having to do twice as much to get half as much while the thinner lips get higher and higher without experience and education. I kid you not. From the time that I get in the office first thing in the morning, I'm whisked away for my input for impromptu meetings. And many days out of the week, I'm working through my lunch at work and doing overtime minus the extra money.

I'm not alone though. I just vent here. My co-workers are a little more comical in their coping mechanisms. My next door neighbor co-worker cuts in and out of the office to do the least bit of work possible. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lower himself out of the ceiling from a rope to his cubicle Batman-style to put on his fascade. Another co-worker has been wearing a neck collar thingy you see folks wear after getting into an accident. Most of us there don't think she's been in an accident; we believe she just wants attention. When a co-worker asked why she wasn't wearing it, she hurried to put it back on. *sigh* On the job, I just work on Sudoku puzzles during break. All is not doom and gloom. We just have to keep hope alive, pray, look for a brighter day, and aggressively look new jobs...I'm hungry. I better get to my Cheerios.

Well I've got to get ready for work. Take care and have a great day anyway.

1 comment:

Pamalicious said...

I took a day off because I am abotu at the end of my working rope. Funny you speak on this because I was formulating a blog in my mind while I was enjoying just being a damn housewife.

I too wonder about who these people are and how can I be down!