Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Jay-Z



They Were Smart To Keep Their Wedding Private...

It appears by all media reports that Beyonce and Jay-Z got married on Friday under a cloak of secrecy. Supposedly, they got married in a building Jay owns. I guess that makes sense. He can control the comings and goings enough to keep the media out. All we've seen are the pictures of a few guests arriving and some expensive flowers on the sidewalk. Did any of you catch a picture of Beyonce's dad? My sister said that he looked like he was going to a funeral. I guess it's that whole Joe Jackson thing. Once folks get married, the whole focus of the career and control shift in a whole another direction. Oh well, they'll be okay.

When I emailed the first reports to my sister, she proclaimed that they had already been married a long time ago. Like years ago. Hmm. That's a thought. But what I will say is that Beyonce and Jay-Z were right to not talk publicly about their relationship, although they are seen together all the time. It seems like this is the way to do things to keep from creating a circus-like atmosphere. I can't tell you how many weddings I have been to that have bordered on becoming a spectacle, because of the many side shows with jealous folks who wished that they were getting married, gossipmongers, reluctant in-laws, unruly kids, complainers (they don't like the cake, the dinner, the music, the bride's dress), the workhorses (bridesmaids), drunkards, the women who will put somebody's eye out behind trying to catch the bouquet and so on and so forth.

I've heard people say that they want a small wedding. By the time, their family members and friends get involved, the wedding becomes a full-scale social extravaganza dipped in solid gold. They end up having several bridesmaids, who have to kick out some major cash to pay for the dress (inlcuding the alterations), shoes, make-up, hairdo, etc. And the brides end up inviting a long list of people, which means that they will need to reserve a huge reception hall. If they are going to have that many people, they will go out their way to impress and to show their appreciation to them with nice food and music. That's got to translate to a big price tag. That's totally fine if that's what the bride and groom want. It's their call.

Big wedding, small wedding, to each his/her own. But I really can't see me spending a lot of money for one day. I was watching all those wedding shows in the WE channel and some of those brides were spending as much as $50,000 -$100,00. *Blink* I'd rather take that money and put it towards a down payment for a really nice and larger house. Plus, a big wedding would take too much out of me since I'm a shy person. What would I look like with that spotlight on me all day? If and when I ever get married I just want to concentrate on my relationship with my groom with very few distractions. A small ceremony with a few close family members and friends would be good enough for me. As for Beyonce and Jay-Z, they pulled it off. The media don't have one picture of them getting married. All the media has to go on is hearsay. Congrats and best wishes to Mr. and Mrs. Carter.

3 comments:

Pamalicious said...

As a person who attended a $50K wedding that lasted about a year and a half. I have never seen the need for an expensive wedding. However, now that I have a daughter talking bout the Disney wedding is for her - who knows? LOL

I think I'm more disturbed by the elaborate expensive engagements. What in the world?

Aly Cat 121 said...

Girl you know I'm over here crying cuz you talking about the "bridesmaid who gonna put out somebody eye" LOL.

Yeah I'm sure their wedding was really beautiful ain't nothing like be surrounded by folks who TRULY love you and being enveloped in a circle of love.

Luke Cage said...

Great post Zee. By the time, their family members and friends get involved, the wedding becomes a full-scale social extravaganza dipped in solid gold. - except for the part about the solid gold, this was our wedding.

We wanted something small.. very small, but her family (yes! HER family) got hold of it and the damn thing became a circus. Just so that she could maintain the peace.

My family knew what the wedding would've been like had we done it as we should have done it. But yes, kudos to the Carters for keeping it incognito. for once, a power couple that kept the damn thing to themselves. And they did it like they wanted to do it. How can you fault them for that. Hi Zee!