Friday, July 01, 2005

Luther Vandross: 1951-2005



Remembering Luther...
The Consummate Professional
The Superstar Among Stars

When I came home from work today, I received a phone call from my sister notifying me that Luther Vandross had passed away. What came to mind was the first time I heard Luther's voice on the radio. Although I was a kid back in the early 1980's, I knew that I was experiencing greatness. I remember hearing Luther singing "A House Is Not A Home." I can remember hanging on every note Luther sang from beginning to end. I had no understanding of the content of the song, but I felt the emotion through Luther's interpretation of the song. He never over or under sang a song. He knew how to sing just right. Remember slow dancing to one of Luther's beautiful songs with your date at a high school dance or later at a club or social event when we became grown? Can you imagine how many babies were conceived, because of his music?

And the following sampling of the many loved songs are the proof:

Any Love
A House Is Not A Home
Creepin' (Creep...Creep...Creep)
Endless Love (With Mariah Carey)
Here And Now
If This World Were Mine (With Cheryl Lynn)
It's Over Now
Make Me A Believer
Never Too Much
Power Of Love
Superstar/Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
Take You Out

***Be sure to grace EJFlavors' blog, which has a wonderful radio blog tribute to Luther.

Back in April of 2003 Luther suffered a terrible stroke in his Manhattan home. Many of us thought that we lost him that very day, which would mean that he would no longer grace us with future CDs or concerts. An aching feeling gave us the notion that we would never see his familiar smile again. And a day or so after his stroke some of us just thought there would be a matter of time before he passed away. However, he managed to hold on and stayed in a coma for several weeks. And then Luther's mother appeared on the Tom Joyner Morning Show to thank listeners for their many prayers and to notify his fans that Luther emerged from a coma. Since then Luther had been in rehabilitation to restore his motor skills. Today, July 1, 2005, at 1:47 p.m. EST Luther Ronzoni Vandross died at John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, NJ at the age of 54.

We will miss Luther so much, because there'll never be another singer like him. Luther's vocal stylings are first class, silky smooth, priceless, and timeless. His music will live on forever. Luther, we will always love you!

=============
Dedication Song:

Never Too Much

6 comments:

Luke Cage said...

Aziza, thank you much for stopping in and showing love to both me and more especially Luther. The man is simply timeless and he will be so missed. You did him proud with your tribute. It's like time suddenly stopped upon learning of his demise. The dedication song was on time dear. Thanks again.

Luke Cage said...

P.S. I'm blogrolling you even though mine isn't showing on my site. Unfortunately, with my new blog skin, it was causing havoc with the new design so until I figure it out, it's going to be incognito. But you're on the Splinter Cell roll luv. Hope you don't mind! Welcome aboard

Aziza said...

Luke Cage, thank you so much for stopping by my blog too. And thanks for the compliments. I'm going to blogroll you right now. Also, I'm very impressed with the graphics on your page, which is very creative and innovative.

EJ Flavors said...

Aziza, thanks so much for stopping by my site. I just had a conversation with Cherrie from RPM and mentioned that I need to have you blogrolled right this very minute because I'm really feeling your site. Thanks for stopping by mine.

Don Tate II said...

Aziza, have you been here all along, and I just over looked this site? Its looking very nice and thanks for linking me up! I am embarrassed to say, I became a Luther fan recently. Recently like in the past 5 years. I know, I know, a brotha's a dweeb, but I just had no idea. But in addition to other problems, with Luther gone, my son won't be having any other siblings.

Tonya said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm relatively new to blogging. Fabulous tribute! I'll be back soon.