Friday, July 29, 2005

Thoughts and Observations - Updates



Procrastination (Volunteer Project): Revisited

In one of my earlier entries, I mentioned that I had decided to volunteer my time and energy towards a non-profit educational organization run by my friend and her husband. And in the entry, I also mentioned that my back was up against the wall to meet a deadline that "I" promised to deliver. I was supposed to develop a marketing plan devoted to community involvement. More specifically, this organization brings students together with educators and career professionals to help the youth prepare for their futures. Every fall the organization hosts a 2-day conference that awards kids with high grade point averages, provides academic/professional workshops, and provides a career fair. Well as an update, I did complete the paper a week later. After feeling absolutely guilty about not keeping my word and avoiding phone calls from the organization (via caller ID), one evening I made myself work from the time I got home from work until 1:30 a.m. to complete the paper. I was satisfied with my work, but it took something out of me, since my alarm comes on at 5:00 a.m.

Fastforward about a month, I'm still behind in my work due to the organization. I owe a ton of work. I have to write letters to organizations and make phone calls. And I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have determined that my volunteer work is a priority, but I need to scale back a little though. Instead of accepting a position as one of the marketing directors, I need to just be a volunteer who works on ad hoc projects. Many evenings when I come after a full day's work, I am completely exhausted and tapped out of energy and ideas. So there have been times, when I have gotten home to wash clothes and make dinner only to fall asleep in front of my computer. I'll just have to manage my time better, because I just can't turn away from my volunteer responsibilities. When I see our youth in deep need of leadership, direction, and compassion, I feel like I am personally responsible in some shape, way, or form. Of course, I can't save the world, but I need to be right in there offering my help. Also, by the way, check out Nikki's blog entry about her community project that she's working on for the youth in her community. On this note, I strongly encourage us all to help out when we can. This isn't unsolicited or unwarranted advice. It's just encouragement. *wink*


Space Shuttle Discovery: Update



Return To Flight

After the Space Shuttle Discovery was successfully launched on July 26, 2005, NASA officials have become concerned about a chunck of foam from the external fuel tank (the big orange one) that broke away at launch. Yesterday, the shuttle did a backflip/somersault move so that the tiles of the underbelly of the ship could be observed. Footage of the launch indicates that the foam did not strike the shuttle, but NASA officials have grounded all future shuttle missions until they are able to determine the source of the foam problem. It is unclear whether the shuttles will be grounded for a short or long period of time.

As you may remember, NASA officials believe that a piece of foam from the external fuel tank struck the Space Shuttle Columbia at launch. The Columbia astronauts were able to carry out their mission in space, but encountered a disastrous end during landing, resulting in the loss of the crew and the ship. At the moment, Discovery astronauts are carrying out their mission of delivering supplies to the International Space Station. The Discovery mission is scheduled to last 13 days, and the shuttle is scheduled to return to Earth on August 8 , 2005. NASA TV is still available for those who wish to follow NASA's updates and mission control news at the following link ==> NASA TV

Shocking News: Mother Leaves 4 Year Old Boy On The Side Of Major Highway

On July 26, 2005, a Newport News, VA woman forced her son to get out of her car along I-495, which is known by Washington, DC metro residents as "The Capital Beltway", because she became upset with her son. As a result of the the mother pulling away and driving off, the child was injured and suffered cuts and bruises. The insanity doesn't stop there, because the mother proceeded on her way and was later involved in an unrelated car accident just north of the Richmond, VA area (this is about 2 hours away from DC). Eventually, the authorities put the stories together and detemined that she was the same person who left a young child on the side of the busy Beltway. Another motorist saw the incident, called for help, and stayed with the little boy throughout the incident. Presently, the mother is being held in jail on charges of felony hit and run and child neglect.

After hearing about this story, I still wonder what this world is coming to. I want to know what in the world the mother was thinking of when she placed her baby, the one she carried for nine months, out on a busy highway. Didn't she know that zooming cars and hefty 18 wheeler trucks could have hurt or killed her baby? Did she even care? It seems like she threw her son away in the same ginger manner as a smoker would dispose of a cigarette out the car door window or the way nasty folks throw away trash on a street. The thought of all this is deeply saddening and heartbreaking. How could a child be treated like nothing? A 4 year old's world is his parents. And if his parents won't love, protect, nuture, and nourish him, then who will??? I have heard that the child has been placed in an emergency foster home. But more importantly, I hope that he will be given intensive care and attention to help him deal with this incident and love to show that someone cares about him.


Unsolicited and Unwarranted Advice: Revisited



I hate to end today's entry with a sad note, because that previous story really tugs at the heartstrings. So, I'll share some more about the unsolicited and unwarranted advice at my job. Believe me, I'm not trying to torture you with my many stories. I just thought that I would unleash them a little bit at a time. *smile*

Picking up from yesteday, as I drove home I realized why I wrote that blog story. It's because I permanently severed a friendship with co-worker "S" nearly 10 years ago. I don't do this too often. But I will cut off a person if the friendship is toxic. When I talked of unsolicited and unwarranted advice, I was not talking about constructive criticism from family and friends who "actually" love us. I speak of the busybodies who make it a full-time job to hurt the feelings of others.

An incident came to mind. I had known co-worker "S" for about a year. She worked in the next office division, and we basically chatted about her kids, husband, and religious matters. So, I thought everything was cool until I really got to know her. She made remarks about folks behind their backs as well as in their faces. However, I stayed out of that. But one day co-worker "S" and I saw co-worker "R" walking down the hall after lunch. We all knew that "R" had just gotten married to a retired supervisor's son. She looked happy about her new marriage and the relationship with her in-laws. In fact, R was preparing to go on a vacation trip with her husband and his people. R is a nice, intelligent person, who has a lot going for her. So, you know that the cattiness of others (such as from S) emerged. As we approached R, S appeared to pepper R with compliments until she got down to the issue of R's new hairstyle. She said R's braids look really nice, but her hairdresser shouldn't have wrapped all those braids into a ball on the top of her head. She then proceeded to say that the heavy ball of braids was weighing R's neck down. Next S proceeded to ADVISE R on the hairdresser she should visit, what kind of hair to use, and how to style her hair. And then S looked at me as if she wanted me to participate or laugh. I simply walked away.

I could understand S if she was advising R to get out of a burning barn or to get out of the path of an oncoming car or to provide her with tips to get a promotion. But no, S usually advised folks on things to hurt their feels. We women can sometimes be sensitive or sometimes downright insecure about our new hairdos if we are unsure of them. So, you should have seen the hurt and embarrassed look on R's face. I wanted no part in that high school bullying mess now taking place on the job between grown-ups. At this point, I realized that people do judge you according to the company you keep. And I would be judged no differently. That's why my friendship with S ended abruptly. S's attitude and actions made me feel bad, which caused me to go out of my way to be nice to the people she hurt and to put some distance between me and those situations. Of course, S with her overbearing attitude tried to get an answer out of me, but I provided none as to why she was graduated to the "ignore" list. There are just some people you can't work along with. And she is one of them. I've probably been graduated to the list of folks she talks badly about (remember me not marrying her brother-in-law), but at least I'm living life on my terms now and trying to treat folks right.

============
Song of the Day:

"Planet Rock" by Afrika Bamabaataa Soul Sonic Force (1982)
**To hear a sample, click on the Windows Media, RealOne Player, or Music Sampler file formats in the middle of the page.

3 comments:

princessdominique said...

Aziza I read about Nikki's project and its a great idea. I like that people are finding it more important to volunteer too. If we don't do it who will? I love that scenic picture with the wooden chairs. It reminds me of a cruise. I'm long overdue for one!

Luke Cage said...

It's amazing how folks are just getting together and making things happen. In a perfect world, all things would fall in place and just happen. Hopefully yours will reach fruition as will all of the others who are attempting to do the same thing. Do your thing miss Aziza! Loved the song of the day. One of my all time favorites!

Don Tate II said...

A friend of mine that works for NASA sent me the most beautiful picture of the shuttle nose on. Wish I could post it, but he'd probably kill me.

Thanks so much for the link to that story in the Baltimore paper